Thursday, July 31, 2008

Who Misses High School?

I do!

As I was going through my stuff, searching for work at MAC, I found this envelope.


It was full of letters for my retreat during our 4th year of high school. It was so long ago, that I actually forgot this envelope ever existed. As I opened it and saw letters from dear friends, I started remembering all the experiences of my high school days.

These were letters given by my batchmates, my friends, and even acquaintances from other batches. It was overwhelming indeed.


I remembered how simple life was compared to today. I wouldn't say high school was worry free for me. It was a tough time having to go through teenage years. Luckily, I had friends and my family as backbone to help me go through with all of it. I can't help but open several letters and read them. I read some letters that really struck me. Boys, friends, even batchmates I wasn't that close with. I began to wonder, did they really write me just because they felt they needed to or did they write me because they wanted to?

As I opened letters, giggles and laughter turned to tears. I was overwhelmed with the letters. One of which from a dear friend sharing her feelings about having me as a friend. The other, telling me how she misses our old ways. Another was thanking me for not leaving her in times of trouble. The best part? I honestly forgot that O gave me a letter for my retreat. Knowing that O's not from our school, I forgot that he made an effort to write me. As I started reading the letter, I can't help the tears falling. O really molded me, and really helped bridge gaps between me and M. As I said, O is really an angel. As the letter progressed to being a "sermon", O stopped and shifted to his feelings. I kept on weeping as I read the letter knowing how our life is now. I realized how lucky I am to have such wonderful friends and family.

It hurts that some of my highschool friends I don't get to talk to anymore and get to see anymore. Years drifted us apart, busy lifestyle has also become a problem. And new friends came into play. I really miss high school. :| But I'm happy with what I've become. Because of high school, and the things I've learned about studies and life in general, I'm stronger and much wiser now. I do not regret anything that happened. Relationships, studies, (well maybe I should have studied better, but that's beside the point :p). I am what I am now because of how high school has made me. I'm me because of the experiences life has taught me. And I am grateful.

6 comments:

sab said...

i miss college more.

but i am guilty of not getting in touch with my high school friends. better start now huh?

- Stilettos to Sweets - said...

I know... it hurts a little, doesn't it? :(

AskMeWhats said...

aww I missed highschool AND College! but I don't want to study again but I have the same envelope with letters too! :)

- Stilettos to Sweets - said...

Nikki: Yeah, I don't miss studying at all. Hahaha! It's torture! I miss dancing though, and I miss my friends. After reading the letters, I really appreciate my life now.

- Stilettos to Sweets - said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
- Stilettos to Sweets - said...

char, i did the same thing wed night. read some of my HS letters. haha la lang... nice to reminisce once in a while... --r