Monday, July 21, 2008

Planning A Wedding Hassle Free!

Stilettos to Sweets presents Ai Acosta, a wedding planner shares her thoughts and tips on weddings, planning, and a whole lot more!


How long have you been in the events planning industry?

4 years last May.


What made you decide to start your own company?

I was getting married that year so I needed enough time to fix my wedding. My bestfriend also offered to open the business with me so I resigned from my job and everything started from there.

Before being an events planner, what were you doing?
I was with Robinsons Malls, as Sponsorship officer of the Ad and Promo Department.

What or who were your inspirations?

I think the idea of weddings and every highs and lows that comes with the preparations are what continuously inspires me to stay in the business.

What is your most favorite event to plan?

Weddings.

It seems like a lot of people are getting married nowadays, I was just wondering, how many weddings have you handled to date?

To date, maybe 70 weddings. I don't do a lot. I try to limit it to a maximum of 3 in a month just so I still have enough time and energy to really manage the details.

Does planning a wedding really entail hardwork?

Yes it does. Especially nowadays that there are so many add-on details or new ideas that come up which makes it really more tedious for the couple.


Usually, why do couples get an events planner?


They normally get "on-the-day" coordination to make sure all the details are executed the way they want it. It's wise to get a coordinator so the couple can truly enjoy their party because someone is there to take care of the back end. Sometimes, they also get the recommendations of the coordinators in terms of the suppliers they can book.


Do you always get along well with your clients?
Haha... so far, yes. Even with their families. :) I am lucky to have had couples who are fun to be with. So it's not much of an effort to keep the mood light so we actually enjoy the coordination process.

What was one of your most favorite weddings and why?

Probably my Cauton-Hernandez (Baguio) wedding...which was my first (and most likely my last - for Baguio) Out-of-town wedding. It taught me a lot. I consider it a great accomplishment.

What happens during the "planning" stage?

For OTD coordination, it is assumed that almost 90% of the suppliers have been booked. When I come in, which is 1-2 months before the wedding day, the couple turns over the contracts to me. There will be a series of meetings and phone calls to finalize the details.

What is your most favorite thing about planning an event?

I like the creative part... like helping the couple create a certain look and feel for their wedding. But I'm not a stylist ah.

How about your least favorite?

When couples constantly change their minds and defy their own rules. But of course, I can't complain. :)

There are so many events planner whether freelance or companies right now, what do you think sets you apart?

Hmmmm... I really don't know. I think my relationship with my clients is very personal so the kind of service I give is personal. I am ready to put in extra effort to get the job done.


What are your plans for the future?

Honestly, I am contemplating on studying Hair and Makeup and keeping wedding coordination bookings to a maximum of 2 a month.

What advise can you give to people who are aspiring to be an events planner (like me *hint hint* :p)?

When going gets tough, just look back to why you went into the business in the first place. And to take each wedding as a learning experience. Because I've been in the business for 4 years, but every time, I learn something new, and I embrace that opportunity.

Finally, what tips can you give couples who are about to get married?

Stick to your budget! Hehe! I always find myself the devil's advocate when my couples overspend on details that in my opinion can be discarded.

Ai Acosta
0916-6181150

2 comments:

♔Jaimie said...

wow! i'm very into event planning. I love you're post. I'll be back to check out your blog.

jaimie
www.justkissnmakeup.com

- Stilettos to Sweets - said...

Thanks Jamie! Me too, I really really love events, most especially weddings. Hopefully soon, I'll have time to plan events. :) Haha!